HARRISBURG – Senate President Pro Tempore Jake Corman (R-Bellefonte) formally recognized law enforcement agencies throughout the state today who donated protective equipment to humanitarian aid workers in Ukraine.
In the days following the initial Russian invasion of Ukraine, law enforcement agencies and volunteers began an effort to donate decommissioned or nearly decommissioned equipment – including bulletproof vests and ballistic helmets – to better protect aid workers.
Corman’s office became involved in the effort after being contacted by retired Lewistown Borough Chief of Police Jeff Lusk for assistance in facilitating the donation of State Police equipment. Corman praised Lusk and the other volunteers who are supporting the ongoing efforts to better protect humanitarian aid workers in Ukraine.
“Our law enforcement agencies go above and beyond expectations protecting our communities every day, so it is no surprise they are also supporting the safety and well-being of other people halfway around the globe,” Corman said. “I know these individuals and departments were not looking for headlines or publicity when they made these donations; they were just trying to do what they could to help people in need. I strongly believe that kind of selflessness deserves to be recognized and honored.”
Corman recognized all participating agencies individually on social media today and is distributing Certificates of Recognition to each department in the days ahead.
Agencies and departments who donated equipment and/or supported collection efforts include:
- Bloomsburg Police Department
- Butler County Sheriff’s Department
- Chester County Public Safety Academy
- Columbia County Chiefs Association
- Crawford County Sheriff’s Department
- Columbia County Department of Probation and Parole
- Easttown Township Police Department
- Northumberland County Police Agencies
- Pennsylvania State Police Retirees Association
- Pennsylvania State Police
- Pennsylvania Capitol Police
- Phoenixville Police Department
- Scranton Police Department
- West Chester Borough Police Department
- Westtown-East Goshen Regional Police Department
- Williamsport Bureau of Police
CONTACT: Jason Thompson